I got quite excited about es, an extensible shell based on the syntax of rc, the Plan 9 shell. I found historical tarballs on the University of Toronto’s FTP server, and turned them into a git repo at GitHub.
(A bit later…)
Somebody’s pulled these bits together already and has their own github repo with lots more patches.
Oh, and here’s another version (earlier, I think).
It seems like I might need to put together a couple of patches for CGEN, which happens to still be kept in CVS, and dealing with that isn’t something I’m likely to want to do for fun. Various read-only GIT mirrors of the CGEN repository exist, but none seem to be up-to-date right at the moment. So I thought I’d try doing one myself.
After some experimentation, I think I have a successful & up-to-date import of the relevant bits of the Sourceware tree:
SRC_SUPPORT="cgen cpu COPYING COPYING3 COPYING.LIB \
COPYING3.LIB COPYING.NEWLIB COPYING.LIBGLOSS \
ChangeLog MAINTAINERS Makefile.def Makefile.in \
Makefile.tpl README README-maintainer-mode compile \
config config-ml.in config.guess config.if \
config.rpath config.sub configure configure.ac \
configure.in contrib depcomp etc gettext.m4 \
install-sh lt~obsolete.m4 ltgcc.m4 ltsugar.m4 \
ltversion.m4 ltoptions.m4 libtool.m4 ltcf-c.sh \
ltcf-cxx.sh ltcf-gcj.sh ltconfig ltmain.sh \
makefile.vms missing mkdep mkinstalldirs \
move-if-change setup.com src-release symlink-tree \
crap-clone -z9 :pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/src src \
$(for x in $SRC_SUPPORT; do echo "-d $x"; done)
Which seems to work OK (well enough at least). All those “-d” options are because this repository heavily uses CVS modules: those files/directories are a flattened-out version of the cgen module (deduced from “
cvs [...] co -c“). Apparently crap will do an incremental update too if necessary, not that CGEN gets much love these days.
Some earlier trouble with some instructions getting mis-assembled has returned — it looks like a needed feature for CGEN (for variable-length instruction encodings) simply isn’t implemented, and in fact just emits the wrong result (as if instruction fields are all in the first word). There are various hints in the CGEN source about this, alluding to its half-finished nature. Maybe it can be patched up.
Branches aren’t getting assembled correctly, and I’m not sure why! Lots of stuff in binutils — particularly the “bfd” bit — seems to be implemented per-target by mostly copy-pasting, even though each CPU is essentially pretty similar in principle in terms of how label addresses (and so forth) are patched into the instruction stream, and parts of the code look like they should support such “relocations” generically. (Edit: my CGEN pc-relative fields needed the PCREL-ADDR attribute set…)
Learning more about CGEN and slowly increasing coverage of the instruction set. Quite a lot of simple instructions are working now, but some stuff (e.g. branches, relocations) are still missing and/or not wired up properly yet.
After reshuffling the simulator into something that’ll hopefully work for GCC regression testing, and implementing some stub system calls in libgloss, things are still not working. I hit some rough edges in the binutils port that mean bits of the libgloss stuff won’t even compile.
The binutils bits (assembler, linker and disassembler, mostly) are based on somewhat ad-hoc parsing of an architecture description file: but, binutils already supports its own system for automating the repetitive bits of implementing an assembler and disassembler (and instruction-set simulator): CGEN, written in Scheme (Guile). I thought it might be fun to try migrating the binutils implementation to that, in the hope that the “rough patches” can then be handled by already-existing generic code. It’s not yet clear if that’s a good idea.